Because I’m loving Ginger right now!
Rhubarb and Ginger Syrup:
* 4 stalks fresh rhubarb, cut into 1/2-inch pieces (about 4 cups)
* 4-inch piece fresh ginger, peeled and coarsely chopped
* 3 cups sugar
* 2 cups water
Combine the rhubarb, ginger, sugar and water in a large saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, until the rhubarb is soft. Remove from heat and let sit for 30 minutes.
Pour mixture through a fine-mesh sieve and mash to get all the juice out, pour into a bottle. Chill syrup.
Feel free to spoon over Vanilla Ice cream, YUM!
Or use one of the drink recipes below.
To make a spritzer:
Combine sparkling water with syrup to taste. Serve over ice.
To make a cocktail:
Rhubarb and Ginger Mojito
* 10 mint leaves
* 1/2 of a lime, cut into three wedges
* rhubarb and ginger syrup, to taste
* 3 Tablespoons white rum ( white or silver tequila)
* ice cubes
* sparkling water
* mint sprig and a slice of lime for garnish (optional)
In a glass, muddle the mint and lime wedges (I use a wooden spoon). Add the rhubarb and ginger syrup and alcohol and stir to mix. Add ice and a splash of sparkling water. Garnish with a slice of lime and mint leaves, if desired.