As I come around the corner about a quarter mile from the farm is an old home stead with nothing left standing but an apple orchard…my apple orchard, I dubbed it this when I was a kid because I’m the only one who ever picks those apples or even cares about the little home stead. So of course I had to stop and pick apples! just enough for Apple Pear crisp because I’m stealing a few pears from the stash I picked yesterday for wine.
My Husband said this was magical….I In the 30+ years I have known him I have never heard him use the word to describe something he was eating, it was also followed by an ever so quite Mmm every time he took a bite. It was the perfect ending to a wonderful day at the farm!
For the Apples/Pears:
- 5 large apples, peeled, cored and sliced
- 5 large Pears, peeled, cored and sliced
- ¾ cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon salt
For the Topping:
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup brown sugar
- ½ cup oats
- ½ cup butter (1 stick) cut into 1-inch pieces
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Spray a large casserole dish or 9×13-inch glass baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, combine the apple slices, sugar, flour, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt. Toss to coat the apples and transfer to the prepared baking dish.
- To make the topping, combine the flour, brown sugar and oats in a medium bowl. Add the butter pieces, and with your fingers, rub the butter in the mixture until it resembles coarse crumbs. Sprinkle this mixture over the apples.
- Bake for 35 to 45 minutes or until the topping is crisp and golden and the inside is warm and bubbly.
- Let sit for about 30 minutes.
Enjoy the magic…..Mmmmm!