For years the Hershey’s cookie recipe was my go to for chocolate chip cookies, and it’s a great recipe. But their a few bakery tips in this one that will give you a much yummier cookie.
#1 chilling the dough…I have been accused of buying bakery cookies because mine looked and tasted so perfect! Chilling and then rolling in a ball will give you perfectly round even cookies. #2 Cornstarch this makes them soft with a perfect texture. #3 Follow the recipe exactly, baking is a science…period. So if it says room temperature egg and butter…DO IT! you will be happy you did.
Soft (bakery style) Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 3/4 cup (1.5 sticks ) butter, softened to room temperature
- 3/4 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg, at room temperature
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch ( cornflour)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 and 1/2 cup chocolate chips (or two 3/4 cup of any combination of chips, nuts, cranberry’s, etc you like)
- In a large bowl using a mixer with paddle attachment, beat the butter for 1 minute on medium speed until completely smooth and creamy. Add the brown sugar and granulated sugar and mix on medium high speed until fluffy and light in color. Beat in egg and vanilla on high speed. Scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl as needed.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the flour, cornstarch, baking soda and salt together until combined. On low speed, slowly mix into the wet ingredients until combined. The cookie dough will be quite thick. Add the chocolate chips mix on low for about 5-10 seconds until evenly disbursed. Cover dough tightly with plastic wrap and chill for at least 2 hours and up to 2 days. Chilling is mandatory for this cookie dough.
- Remove cookie dough from the refrigerator and allow to sit at room temperature for 10 minutes, if the cookie dough chilled longer than 2 hours, let it sit at room temperature for about 30 minutes. This makes the cookie dough easier to scoop and roll. Preheat oven to 350F. Line baking sheets with parchment paper Set aside.
- Once chilled, the dough will be slightly crumbly, but will come together if you work the dough with your hands as you roll into individual balls. Scoop and roll balls of dough, about 1 Tablespoon of dough each, into balls. Place 10 – 12 on each baking sheet. Bake in batches for 8-10 minutes, until barely golden brown around the edges. They will look extremely soft when you remove them from the oven. Allow to cool for 5 minutes on the cookie sheet. Transfer to cooling rack to cool completely.
Be prepared for rave reviews…and to make more….ENJOY!