This cookie recipe was given to me by my sister, and makes the best cut out cookies! Soft, tender. yummy…
I have been keeping it in my Current recipe keeper that I bought in 1980 (oh my!)
So I’ve been making them at least that long and that was before I had kids, so my kids grew up eating these and they are still a favorite. It’s almost Valentines day so I’m whipping up a batch for my Valentine.
Yep! two sizes going on here, it is not your imagination.
- 1 cup Butter (room temp)
- 1 1/2 cup Powdered sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp Vanilla
- 1/2 tsp almond extract
- 3 cups Flour
- 1 tsp Baking soda
- 1 tsp Cream of Tarter
Cream Butter, sugar, egg and flavorings. Blend in Flour, soda and Cream of Tarter. Cover and chill for one hour.
Roll out to 1/8 thick and cut in desired shapes, Bake at 375 for 7 to 8 minuets. Do not over bake.
Cool and frost.
NOTE: If you are in the middle of making these like I am and realize you are out of Almond extract you can replace with a teaspoon of Lemon extract, its lovely. I’m using Cream Cheese frosting, so I included that below.
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) salted butter, softened
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 3 to 4 cups powdered sugar (depending on your desired consistency & sweetness of frosting)
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- Using an electric mixer, beat together the butter and the cream cheese. Slowly blend in the powdered sugar and vanilla, then beat until smooth and well-combined. Makes 3 cups.