I have to give full disclosure here…I was never a big fan of baked beans…until these! Thick and rich and BACON! Take them to your next event and you will come home with an empty pan and everyone asking for the recipe. It’s a great feeling when you walk in and people see what you have and go YES! I was hoping you were bringing your Bacon Beans!
- 8 slices bacon, halved
- 1 medium onion, cut into small dice
- 3 large cans (28 ounces each) pork and beans
- ¾ cup barbecue sauce
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup distilled or cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons dry mustard or 2 tablespoons Dijon
- Adjust oven rack to lower-middle position and heat oven to 325°F. Fry bacon in large, deep sauté pan skillet until bacon has partially cooked and released about ¼ cup drippings. Remove bacon from pan and drain on paper towels.
- Add onions to drippings in pan and sauté until tender, about 5 minutes. Add beans and remaining ingredients; bring to a simmer. (If skillet is not large enough, add beans and heat to a simmer then transfer to a large bowl and stir in remaining ingredients).
- Pour flavored beans into a greased 13-by 9-inch (or similar size) ovenproof pan. Top with bacon, then bake until beans are bubbly and sauce is the consistency of pancake syrup, about 2 hours. Let stand to thicken slightly and serve.
Enjoy! Love Hope